Does your little one need some ruffles on her ROMPER? Of course she does! Let's GET SEWING!
I love taking a pattern that I have (or one I've bought) and tweaking it to make it look more custom made. I'm going to show you how to add a ruffle trim to The Rory Bubble Romper sewing pattern to make this precious outfit:
The happy lady is showing off and smiling!
"Look at my smile, Mommy. I forgot how to smile. Is it like this?" Um...no that looks like a mean face, baby girl! Try again.
Can't you just see your little girl in this ruffled romper? Adorable!
How to add RUFFLES to The Rory Romper Sewing Pattern
The Rory Romper Sewing Pattern (Instant download here: www.seaminglysmitten.com)
1/2 yard of fabric
thread, sewing machine, scissors, pins, straight edge
1. Follow instructions on the pattern for cutting out your romper pattern.
2. Cut out 4 strips of fabric that are 5 inches long x the width of your romper pattern piece.
(You need 2 ruffle strips for each romper piece.)
4. Lay your ruffle strip right side down. Fold it in half, matching the long ends and press with an iron. Now the right side of the long ruffle strip will face you. Repeat for the other ruffle strip.
5. Sew a basting stitch along the raw edge of your ruffle strips using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Leave a 6 inch tail of fabric at the beginning of your ruffle strip and at the end of your ruffle strip. Do NOT backstitch. Repeat for the other ruffle strip.
6. Holding on to the bobbin thread ruffle your strip (slide the fabric along the bobbin thread gently) until it is the same width as your romper pattern piece. Repeat for other ruffle strip / other pattern piece.
9. Serge or zig-zag stitch the raw edges. I make sure my needle goes on then off the fabric with each stitch.
Enjoy your new Rory Ruffled Romper!
I hope you LOVE it and your little one wears it ALL SUMMER LONG!
You will smile everytime your little girl wears it because she loves it and you know you made it!
Happy Summer Sewing!!
Instant Download Pattern Shop is here:
Find us on Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/SeaminglySmitten.DownloadableSewingPatterns