Tuesday, December 6, 2011

TUTORIAL - Wine Bottle Gift Bag - Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom

Today kicks off the 2nd day of Sew Crafty Christmas! Consider this a holiday sewing extravaganza! Do you ever think about making gifts for people for the holidays, but in the end can't decide on what to make? Well this event is for YOU!

We want you to have a Sew Crafty Christmas!
From December 5th-16th we have guest posters and giveaways GALORE!


I met Jamie (via sewing and blogging of course!) and instantly learned something new! Jamie has a crafty blog that features sewing, cooking and recipes, remodeling and decorating...you know it and Jamie has it!

Here are some sewing tutorials that you might like:
Jamie actually made this fleece hat pattern herself! Isn't her daughter beautiful?


How quick and easy are these skirts?

LOVE the tiered look of this dress! Think of all the fabric combinations you can use!

These are awesome upcycled shorts! I remember when she added this to our Sew Chic Upcycling Linky Party!

Take it away, Jamie!

Hi Everyone!  My name is Jamie, and I blog over at Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom!  I am so happy to have the opportunity to participate in the Sew Crafty Christmas blogging event here at Seamingly Smitten.  I love to read the Seamingly Smitten Blog, she has created some of the cutest and easy to sew little girl sewing patterns and has tons of great photos for inspiration.

I am a stay at home mom of two little ones.  I love to cook, craft and sew for my kids (and myself when I have the time.)  Today I want to share an easy little project I put together for you today.  It is a tutorial for a Wine Gift Bag.  Just a little project that can be done in a very short amount of time, but will add just a little something special to any gift.

 





Materials needed for this project:

-1/4 yard pretty fabric

-20 inches of coordinating ribbon for the tie

-coordinating thread

-ruler

-scissors

-iron



Directions:

Fold your fabric in half, selvage to selvage.  Measuring from the folded side, cut a piece of fabric 17.25  inches wide by 6 inches tall.  (when unfolded, it will be 34.5 x 6)




Next, flip your fabric and fold it right sides together and sew up the long sides using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Do this for both sides.





Clip the corners of the bottom as shown, taking care not to cut into your seam.





Flip the bag right side out.  Use a pencil or turning tool to help turn the corners of the bag.

Fold the top edge over 1/2 inch and press.  Pin if needed.  Sew a straight stitch 1/4th inch from the folded edge.   Be careful not to catch the other side of the bag in your stitches.





Next fold the top side in again, this time 2 1/4 inches.  Press well and sew a straight stitch 2 inches from the fold.  You will probably need to manipulate your fabric around since the opening might be too narrow to fit around your machine.  (Mine was.)  This stitch should catch the folded inside edge.





Finally, cut a strip of ribbon to about 20 inches in length.  Tie a pretty bow around the bottle neck.





Tada!  You are done! A cute little gift bag, which could be used for many different sized gifts, not just wine bottles.  All you would need to do is to adjust your measurements!





Can I tell you a secret?  I tried a little experiment...  The striped bag is made completely with hot glue!  Yep, hot glue, no sewing at all...  So I guess this could be a no-sew project too!

 
Thanks again to Jenny at Seamingly Smitten for inviting me over today.  I had fun making these bags and I hope you will too.  I have lots of family friendly recipes, crafts, sewing projects and tutorials over at my blog, Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom! I would love it if you would drop by for a visit sometime!  

Later today,
Jennifer from
Sew Adorable Too  is GIVING AWAY a $20 store credit
 to one winner!
It could be YOU!

Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Such a great gift idea. Especially since you can make this with scap material/ribbon you already have. Great tutorial too!!