Friday, October 7, 2011

Dress in Progress...need your opinions

You're either turned on by prints or turned off. I am definitely pulled towards a printed fabric when I see it. I'm not sure if it's the color, the way it catches my eye, or if it's simply because it's a bit more inviting when it's on the bolt. Whatever it is, I'm definitely more likely to come home from the fabric store with a print than a solid. 


This material I found was just a poly blend and falls really well. I've had difficulty hemming and turning necklines on poly though. It doesn't hold an iron crease (what am I doing wrong?) and so I'm mostly hand-turning it or running a stay stitch through it as my turning line. 

I wanted to make a dress that had open shoulders. Have you seen that trend? Here is one dress that caught my eye: 







And I absolutely LOVE anything...yes anything...made by Diane von Furstenburg as seen here (above). Her use of print is breathtaking and simply stunning. The prints are usually very bold and exhilaratingly beautiful.

I used my love of print along with the open shoulder dress inspiration and am working on this:

So far I love the top and sleeves. But the bottom is throwing me off. I do not want something with too much structure, but rather something to give it a more casual feel. I might add an elasticezed waist from the inside or do small pickups on either side by the hips to give it some fullness.





What do you think? What should the bottom look like?

3 comments:

a Matula ikrek said...

My vote to ruffles on both sides.

Kelli said...

I love it. I would go with a semi-full skirt. Like the skirt in the pinkish dress. You know, so it has plenty of movement to complement the great pattern. LOVE the shoulders and sleeves!!

Jenny Hall / Seamingly Smitten said...

Thanks ladies! I finished the dress and will post a picture later today :) I wore it out last night and loved the final look!