Friday, August 20, 2010

Cowl Neck Romper

Let's talk about the romper look. I've seen them in magazines, online and even on some people, but I never thought I could pull it off. I'm pretty petite - almost 5 feet - almost - so I thought a romper would make me looks wide and even shorter. So my next challenge was to create a romper I could actually wear and feel good in. (Here's a picture of it but this is without make-up...I was so excited I wanted to take a picture of it but it was only 7am when I finished it!)


I used an olive green matte jersey and created my own pattern using a pair of running shorts for the bottom and then just a simple rectangle for the top. I made the shorts then I sewed the rectangle together to make a tube. Next I put the two pieces together. I couldn't decide what to do to the neckline - I was tired of shirring and didn't want it to just have a strip of elastic. So I went with a cowl neckline following the newest fall trend and added two thin straps at the neckline to tie in the back. To add a little "girly-ness" to it I created a sash and left the edges raw and tied it in a bow. Here it is...
The Petite Romper with Cowl Neckline


AND the MOST EXCITING NEWS was I wore it to a jewelry trunk show this morning at a boutique in town and the 4 women working there walked up to me when I walked in the door and asked me where I got it! :) I was simply flattered! They told me they loved the cowl neckline and the color and told me I should be making rompers. I'm glowing :)

11 comments:

Karin van Dam said...

I love it. You look great in it, I can imagine you got lots of compliments!

Morgan said...

I LOVE that romper and it looks great on you! Too cute! I, also, love the romper look, but am not sure I should pull it off. Maybe I should try again! :)

AllisonPrice said...

I have to say it... Told you so!

Elizabeth {sunny bug} said...

LOVE it. I bought one this year - on clearance - and wear it often. I was surprised by the number of compliments...never thought something so comfy would get such great feedback. Now...if I can just wear yoga pants all winter and get the same response ;) Nice job!

Nancy said...

that is really darling. You certainly have the figure for it. Impressed that you sewed it up without a pattern. I'm just beginning to get daring like that. If you make my burlap/shabby rose bag...let me know! I'd love to see your finished project!
xoxo
Nancy

Emily Thompson said...

very cute! I'm also shorter and wondered about pulling off the romper look. But, you look great, and I would never guess you were petite from the pictures!

Tricia said...

It's true, the romper doesn't make you look petite at all. Great fabric choice, it looks awesome on you. Don't you love a bit of positive feedback, I'm glad that your romper got the attention that it deserved at the store.

Holly Lefevre said...

That just might be the most stylish romper I have ever seen. Amazing job! It looks great on you.
Holly
504 Main

Unknown said...

I love this!

Jennifer Leigh said...

Oh my goodness! So amazing...I want one!

Rebecca said...

Jenny! This is adorable! I'm am just *sew* impressed and I love reading your witty blog~~