Thursday, July 22, 2010

Shirred Dress

The Laurie Dress
Lately I have sewn so many things for my kids or house that I wanted to try something different. I challenged myself to try shirring. If you haven't tried it, it's incredibly easy! The tutorial I used was found here:


http://www.rufflesandstuff.com/2010/02/shirring-tutorial.html


I found a knit fabric, (my first knit...wow, I've been missing out!...I really need to learn about types of fabric...) hemmed the top, shirred 20 lines across the top, dampened the shirred lines with water, then put a hot iron on top of it. I felt like I was doing a science project again and got so much enjoyment watching the shirring "shrink" like it was supposed to. Woohooo! I did it right!

And here is the outcome....
a sassy, swingy, comfortable summer dress
for my awesome sister, Laurie.

She deserved this one! (Lots of babysitting lately!) I was a little jealous of this project and wanted to keep it for myself, but it felt better sharing. :)
I'm going to be making myself one next.

It can be found here:
make it wear it

HookingupwithHoH
giveaways

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute....great job!!!!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

So cool! You did a great job. Methinks I will have to check this out and try it very soon. You look very cute in your summery dress. ;0)

Amber said...

Awesome job!! I always find myself sewing for everyone but me. :)

minik said...

I love it.Ithink it is cute...

Brandy said...

Great job.

Beth said...

Oh, I love it! Gonna bookmark it :-)

Andrea said...

SOOO cute! Great work!

Kat @ Black Kats Design said...

Cute. Almost gives me confidence to try shirring myself!

I’m having a new link party “Cheap Thrills Thursday” starting the 29th. It’s for creative ideas that cost under $20. If you have a project you’d like to share, I’d love for you to stop by and join in!
Kat
www.BlackKatsDesign.blogspot.com