Sunday, January 2, 2011

Ruffled Shoulder Shirt

Ruffled Shoulder Shirt
Ruffles have been everywhere on shirts - down the middle, swirled into spirals, around the neckline - and I wanted them somewhere else. I took a chocolate brown matte jersey material and made this shirt. I used a tank top I had to trace a pattern and then traced sleeves from an existing shirt. Once my shirt was sewn together I created ruffles then pinned and sewed them to each shoulder. This is the result. I am wearing it as I type! :) I think it's my newest favorite AND I even used my dressform (I named her Geanette) to get the fit just right and I think it worked for the first time!
I also used something called a "stretch stitch" on my sewing machine. It looks like a slanted zig-zag stitch. I had read that stretchy materials like the one I used get bunched up if you use a straight stitch and I had experienced that when I made a dress not too long ago. The stretch stitch worked wonders! I didn't have any broken threads or bunched material. And in other "firsts" I used the Picasa photo editing website to edit, crop and get rid of the red-eye. They aren't perfect pictures but I think they're better than normal. :)
Post a Comment