Tuesday, May 3, 2011

HELP...Advice Needed...Shirt Making in Progress

The neckline is where I'm stuck...keep reading if you have some advice for me.

Any help would be awesome and appreciated!



Anthropologie Please Inspire Me (as usual)






Do you ever browse at all the eye candy at Anthropologie and become inspired? Today was one of those days. The above three are some shirts that I came across and found they have some things in common....two have cinched waists (I need that since I am petite and would love more curves), the v-neck or cowl neck (I think they're more interesting and flattering than a scoop neck) and the winged/bat sleeves. I like how the contrast of the fluttery sleeves and the cinched waist give the shirts movement but some nice fit and structure.


I'm a huge fan of print fabric. Where can I find fabric like these Anthropologie shirts pictured above?

Is there some amazing online fabric store that would simply wow me in apparel fabric?


The store in my hometown doesn't have this type of quality. But what I managed to find was a large flowery print in a stretchy material and it sat around in my fabric pile for a while until I saw these pictures today. Then it came to me....a v-neck, fluttery sleeve, cinched waist shirt :) OBVIOUSLY :)

(The top two pictures are of the shirt I'm making...black and white flowery print....)

But I'm Stuck! The fabric is very stretchy so I'm using a stretch stitch. However, should I make an interfacing/some type of lining near the neckline in the front? I don't know how to make the V neck a V neck by simply ironing and pinning.

Any hints??

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm, I'm no expert so can't really give advice on the neckline.. but with regard to fabric, have you looked on eBay or etsy? You'll quite often find great fabric on both sites. Good luck with this! Look forward to seeing end result

Sharon said...

I not sure either, I make little girls clothes all the time but never take time to sew for myself. What you have so far looks great though! I agree that there are a lot of great fabric stores on Etsy for all kinds of fabrics! Good luck on your shirt!!

Anonymous said...

fabric.com, gorgeousfabrics.com, hawthornethreads.com just to name a few.

Paige said...

I think what you've made looks great. With stretchy material, I like to use a narrow zigzag...stitch width 1.5 and stitch length of stitch set to 2.0. An alternative to using the facing is bias binding.