Monday, October 23, 2017

Claire Cardigan Sew Along Day 1

Claire Cardigan Sew Along Day 1
Choosing Your Fabric

Become an affiliate HERE and earn commission on each sale!

Welcome to our Claire Cardigan Sew Along!! (PATTERN HERE!) Use coupon: SAVE40 at checkout to save 40% OFF your entire purchase! Hundreds of you have bought the pattern and I am thrilled to be sharing this sew along with you! Need some inspiration??



 Guess what? We have some FABULOUS prizes from some AMAZING Sponsors!! Starting this Friday, October 27th, you will be able to start sharing photos of your Claire Cardigan for 1 week! Next Friday, November 3rd, 3 winners will be chosen! Want to hear about them?


First Place Winner will receive:
 1 MRFB of Sly Fox Fabrics (up to $95 VALUE) 
and a $25 Seamingly Smitten store credit!

 What?!? Yes!! Thank you so much to Katy Kemper of Sly Fox Fabrics for donating such a fab prize!! Check out all of her gorgeous fabrics at SLY FOX FABRICS!




Second Place Winner will receive 

a $20 store credit to So Sew English Fabrics
and a $25 Seamingly Smitten store credit

Thank you so much to Chey Ferris for donating this! AND she is offering everyone $5 OFF your $30+ purchase using code 5OFFSAL at checkout (Texas Fundraising Fabric not included). Check out her bundles, too, here at So Sew English Fabrics!






Third Place Winner will receive 

$20 Amazon Gift Card
and a $25 Seamingly Smitten store credit 


Let's get started!


Day 1 Choose your fabric
Day 2 Cut your fabric
Day 3 Pin and Sew
Day 4 Hem 
Day 5 Share a pic to WIN a prize!!


Day 1: Time to choose your fabric! Friday in this BLOG POST  I talked about all the different types of knit fabric that you can use to make your cardigan. I have made one in 2 different fabrics so far, like this jersey sweater knit (below). It is a medium weight knit that draped very nicely and has just the right amount of stretch to retain its shape throughout the day! My mom loved it so much I actually gave it to her and she's worn it at least 3 times last week, so I think it's a winner!
The second one is made from a jersey knit fabric that does not have as much stretch as the blue cardigan above. It is the perfect cardigan weight to keep you warm, but not too warm during those fall months!

For this week's cardigan I am going to use this hacci sweater knit. I draped it over my mannequin to see how it will fall and I am already excited about this one! It is an open weave knit so air flows more freely through it, but I am loving the color and texture of it. I am going to use a larger seam allowance when I sew, because I know this fabric stretches while worn and I do not want it to come out too large :) 



 Make sure you wash and dry your fabric today per the directions on the bolt! Pre-washing is very important when sewing with knits, because knits tend to shrink. I always wash my knits on cold water, gentle cycle and I tumble dry them on low. Once you sew your cardigan, this gives you the option of washing and drying it each time you wear it, or even simply washing and then hanging or laying flat to dry. But if you start sewing with a knit before pre-washing and shrinking, your cardigan will not fit the same way once it is washed and dried. That's why it is important to pre-wash! :) 

What fabric are you using today??

Share a pic on fb or comment below! 

Go ahead and print and assemble your pattern today or you can wait until tomorrow! Tomorrow we will cut out the pattern with your fabric and I hope you come back to join us!
Thanks for sewing along!!



No comments: