Some Summer Sewing
TUTORIAL: How to sew a bubble skirt
I just love how poofy this bubble skirt is. It is playful and fun - perfect for some playtime in the backyard, a trip to the park or even dressy enough to wear to a birthday party. Just add an appliqued or monogrammed shirt and she is ready to go!
Want to know how to sew a bubble skirt? Read on!
Worried about ironing? The way this bubble skirt is made actually has elastic that keeps it poofy. The two layers aren't just sitting on each other. Also, when you pick out your fabric, always give it the "squeeze test." I squeeze the fabric as hard as I can in my hand about 3 times. This will show you if it wrinkles easily. If I can see wrinkles after the "sqeeze test" I pass up that fabric and look for another that does not wrinkle easily. Scientific, right? :)
**All the fabrics on this page are 100% cotton apparel fabrics from Hobby Lobby. They wash and dry easily and I have not had to iron them.
TUTORIAL: How to sew a BUBBLE SKIRT
**This is for a size 2T
4. Cut a piece of elastic that fits around your child's thighs. I cut 21 inches of elastic for the thighs.
11. Sew down the pinned edge.
15. Sew all around the pinned edge using a 5/8 inch seam allowance. STOP SEWING 3 inches before your starting point.
19. Sew the ends together.
20. Sew closed the opening that was left in the elastic casing of the skirt.
21. Turn skirt inside out and YOU ARE DONE!