The only way to learn something new in sewing is to try it, right? You should face that new skill head on, get out those scraps of fabric that don't mean anything and just give it a shot, right? Well last week I decided enough is enough! I'm not going to let a little zippered pouch scare me. I have sewn zippers into dresses and into skirts but that was about it. I had never tried making a zippered pouch before, so I started looking up tutorials that had TONS of pictures and then just went for it And guess what? It worked!
Since it was such an awesome feeling to use a zipper and make something for myself besides clothing, I wanted to share this tutorial with you all. You can do it, too! I've included tons of pictures for you. Try it out! Email me if you get stuck. I'm always happy to help.
The Zippered Pouch
(with boxed corner)
1. Gather materials: fabric, iron, pins, scissors, thread, sewing machine and a 9 inch zipper
2. Lay out your zipper and measure it from end to end. Mine was 10 and a half inches in length.
3. Cut out 2 pieces of your main fabric that measure: 9 inches long x 10.5 inches wide
4. Cut out 2 pices of your lining fabric that measure 9 inches long x 10.5 inches wide
7. Get your zipper foot ready.
Open it up and check it out!
10. Lay down your other main piece of fabric right side up.
11. Place your sewn piece on top of it right side down. Line up the zipper to the top edge.
12. Lay your lining on top of all three layers. Line up the top edge and pin along the top edge. Make sure the zipper is lined up evenly in there.
13. Sew along the top, pinned edge again.
14. Spread out your layers and press with an iron. And it's okay to freak out a little because you just sewed a zipper! Woohoo!!!
16. Open your zipper a little more than halfway.
17. You will separate the four layers of fabric and match the main fabric right sides together and the lining fabrics right sides together and pin around the entire edge.
**Just showing you the hole for turning.
19. Reach in and turn your zippered pouch inside out until it looks like this below:
Don't you LOVE the zipper!?!
Yep, you did that! Pat yourself on the back!
Want to give it some boxed corners so it can have more shape?
Go for it!
1. Turn your entire zippered pouch inside out.
3. Sew one inch away from the corner. This gives your triangle a base. Repeat for other corner.
4. Turn it right side out again and check it out! Corners!!
5. Load that bag up with makeup, toiletries, some sewing supplies...you name it...and you're ready to go! You can even make them as gifts, monogram them, make them for your kid's art supplies...the possibilities truly are endless.
I'd love to hear about it if you make one! If you send me a picture I might even post it on our Facebook page. I LOVE seeing what you make!
Happy Sewing, ladies!