Friday, March 15, 2013

St. Patrick's Day Applique Shirts and Skirt

Make a St. Patrick's Day Applique!
 
What do you do when you have 30 minutes before you have to leave to pick up for carpool? Sew two new outfits for tomorrow's St. Patrick's Day parade of course!!



For my little girl I sewed a basic elastic waist skirt (TUTORIAL HERE) in this cute fabric I got at Hobby Lobby.

When I sewed the elastic casing at the top, I ironed down the top edge 1/2 inch to the wrong side, then another 1 inch to the wrong side and pinned in place. I sewed around the pinned edge using a 7/8 inch seam allowance around the entire skirt. Then I sewed another line of stitches 1/2 inch above that line and stopped sewing 2 inches before my starting point. I cut my elastic to 20 inches (she is a 3T), inserted it, overlapped the elastic and sewed the pieces together, then sewed the opening closed. That's how you make a paper bag waisted skirt! Easy!!

For my son, I wanted to make something kind of quirky and cute, so I went with an appliqued tie. I found the picture here and copied and pasted it into a Microsoft Word document. Then I dragged the edges of it to be as large as it could fit on my printer paper and printed it. To see how I applique, you can read my TUTORIAL HERE.



Enjoy!! Go make your kids something fun!! I also saw a picture today that someone added SUSPENDER APPLIQUES to a shirt! Too cute!! You can see an example HERE.  Have fun with it!!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

I'm also having a $4 SALE on The Love Me Knots Dress PDF sewing pattern TODAY ONLY. Pattern shop HERE.

 Happy Weekend everyone!!
Pattern shop HERE. 



No comments: