Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Summer Sundress with Ruffles


If you know this little face of my little girl's you've probably noticed you haven't seen her on the blog lately. That's because she's been laying down all summer! Catherine broke her femur climbing onto a bed 5 weeks ago (her leg got stuck between the rail and the mattress and she fell off) and has been in a spica cast.  That means a full-body cast with a bar in between her legs to keep her hips from moving. She has been laying around, army crawling around and being carried around the past few weeks. A week ago today she got that cast off and is just in a long legged cast on the broken leg and the cast still goes around her hips. BUT...she can stand! This is HUGE! I had to have the camera ready for when she did start standing again because it's almost been like having an infant in the house. Yay...she's crawling! Yay...she's standing! And in 10 more days we cannot wait to say YAY...SHE'S WALKING! But...that's in 10 more days. So for now I can finally take pictures of Catherine again (We call her "Ladycakes") in some sweet summery dresses standing up.
That's big news in our house and it is the little things in life that I appreciate. 


 I love this polk-a-dot and flowery fabric combination and the length of the ruffles. But do you see my mistake? I made the dress a few inches too long (I was trying to cover the cast...do you see it poking out on her right foot?) and had to make it shorter, but I had already attached the ruffles. So I just cut across and took off a few inches then reattached the bottom. I should have done this along the ruffle line...note for next time!
My sweet neighbor, Rebecca, who lives across the street has a monogramming machine and offered to monogram a few things for me if I sewed her little boy some clothes. I am all about bartering! Of course I jumped at the chance, gave her a few things and let her choose the monogram font, size and color. Well she did not let me down! I LOVE this monogram with the scrollwork around it! I've never had such a fancy monogram on a piece of kid's clothing before and now I think I won't go back to simple initials. Thanks Rebecca! You can see her blog here at The Klar Family blog. And I will post all of the awesome things she monogrammed for me in a few days! Thanks REBECCA!

 LOVE this monogram!

"See my dress, Momma? Cheese!"
I love my baby girl!

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh, poor Catherine! I wish I had known, we'd have been praying for y'all. My cousin's little boy fell and broke his leg about this same age and he had the big cast too. Miss Catherine looks very happy to be up and standing again. The dress is too cute!!

Misty said...

What a precious little girl (and adorable dress too)! I'm so sorry about that horrible boo boo!!! I'm glad that she is moving right along in her recovery... so sad to see a little one hurt. I've got four kids, and they've all had their share of accidents...however, my third child (a 3 year old boy) seems more prone to it than the others. He makes me a nervous wreck! At least your little one looks quite fashionable in her cast!

Naturally Carol said...

Gosh, you have had a trying summer..it cannot have been easy looking after your little girl when she's been in pain and incapacitated. No wonder you're enjoying the freedom of being able to take her out again and see her happy! I hope she recovers fully and quickly.

Jenny Hall / Seamingly Smitten said...

Thanks for the sweet wishes for Catherine! She's doing great and has gotten a little too used to us carrying her around :) Our sweet baby girl is counting down the days until next Friday when it comes off. I will definitely put some pictures of her up here when she walks again!

Anonymous said...

Today, I went to the beachfront with my children.

I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She placed the shell to her ear and screamed.
There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched
her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I
had to tell someone!

Here is my webpage :: read the source