Monday, August 29, 2011

Sewing for Myself (back from a break!)

The past few weeks have been about focusing on my family, enjoying the last few days with my kids at home before they start school (even my baby girl, Catherine is starting preschool next week), taking a weekend trip to New Orleans with the kids and having lots of playdates with friends (and it's always refreshing mommy time, too!).

I needed to take that craft break to refresh myself and restart my creativity! Does anyone ever take a crafting break? It isn't that my inspiration notebook isn't jammed packed with designs, ideas, and drawings of things that I want to make. No, that isn't the problem. I just needed to step away from my sewing studio and hang out with my babies (okay they are 3 and 2 years old but will always be my babies). That gives me pure joy!

Well it's time to get back to what I love to do! Sew, create, make patterns and design. Here's a dress I'm making for myself. It's gathered at one side and has a side zipper. It's draped and feminine and when I see it I want to wear it NOW (but it needs to be sewn)...so I will keep you posted.


Kelli from Small Town Stitcher just posted about the top 5 things she wants to accomplish now that her kids are back in school. I think this is such a great idea because I know if I write it down it is more likely to be done!
TOP 5 THINGS I WANT TO DO :
(in September)

1. Finish a dress for myself with a side zipper (see photo above...I LOVE IT and can't wait to wear it!)
2. Research and buy a serger (What kind do you have?)
3. Make a new fall pattern for WOMEN! (I have two in mind)
4. Sew Catherine a peasant dress.
5. Get back to BLOGGING! I 've taken a huge break!

What are you working on?

2 comments:

OrloSubito said...

Hi,
I recently bought a serger is a Brother 3034D, I have to say I love it
I wrote about here:
http://orlosubito.blogspot.com/2011/03/me-llego-la-fileteadora.html

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

As for the serger...I waited and waited to buy one. And before I did, I scoured Craigs List for months, I eventually found a used Brother that was old, but worked GREAT for $50. I was really happy with it because it gave me the chance to get familiar with sergers, and see how they worked. To get comfortable with one, before I made the big, expensive plunge to get a new one. I used that old Brother until the metal broke off of it, literally, and I had to replace it!